question

khattabkhairdeen avatar image
khattabkhairdeen asked

Do i need a separate build for game servers?

Hello, I'm really confused on if you need a separate unity build for the server... and if so, what do i include for it? this whole time i thought you only needed 1 build which would just be the game, do i need to make server api calls on this separate build? and by build does it mean a new project? if anyone can help clear this up itd be so helpful for me. just need to know where to call server api basically..

apis
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

In the common scenario, it is necessary to have separate builds because, as you have mentioned, for multiplayer server, server API is required to manage and update player data, which means you need to store secret key in the build. If there is only a single build, the key will remain in the client, and it can be leaked.

It seems possible to have only one Unity Project, but separate builds are required.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

khattabkhairdeen avatar image khattabkhairdeen commented ·

Hey, do i have to build my own dedicated server? if not, i think the cloudscript would be better. can the cloudscript work as the whole server?

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ khattabkhairdeen commented ·

It depends on your game design. If real-time data changes and verification in time are required, Multiplayer server is necessary. However, if it is near-time like board game, Cloud Script with Azure Function is enough.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.