question

Frank DiCola avatar image
Frank DiCola asked

Limit on PlayStream event body size

Hey there! I'm a free user and I ran into a limit on PlayStream event body size that's causing an issue:

"error": "OverLimit",
"errorCode": 1214,
"errorMessage": "52109 bytes in body exceeded limit of 10000",

For some background about what I'm doing, my app is a free volunteer app / AR game that the local charities in my town are using to post "Quests" on an AR map that people can sign up for. So, a small number of users are "Providers" and I want to back up their data every morning somewhere besides PlayFab just so it's safe. This is stuff like attendance records for past Quests, and also upcoming Quests.

Anyway, since Amazon S3 is receiving all the events I'm writing, I figured I would use that for storage. My code worked for my Test Provider that has a small amount of data, but when I tried it with one of the real charities in my network I got the error above because it's too much data.

I'm 100% willing to upgrade to a different plan, as long as I know that this Limit is going to be extended. Ideally the Limit should match the Limit on Player data value size which is 300,000 bytes.

Can anyone give me a concrete answer about what the Limit can be increased to, and what the charge would be? My current estimate says $0.60 per month, which works for me! But am I going to incur "overage" charges every morning because of the size of my data values?

I guess a side question you could answer is "here's a better way to back up your data" but I don't know what other way I could send data from PlayFab to Amazon S3.

Thanks for the help! Let me know what else I can add to add context.

limits
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Made Wang avatar image
Made Wang answered

Upgrading to a different plan will not increase the limit of PlayStream event body size unless you upgrade to Enterprise Plan, but this is very different from your budget.

Storing PlayStream event to Amazon S3 is the recommended way for PlayFab, you can refer to Setup an Amazon S3 bucket - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Frank DiCola avatar image Frank DiCola commented ·

Thank you! So it sounds like since Enterprise is out of my budget and I can't do much about the amount of data I need to back up, I'm going to have to do this manually unless there's another way that CloudScript can communicate with AWS?

0 Likes 0 ·
Made Wang avatar image Made Wang Frank DiCola commented ·

What needs to be clarified is that playfab's definition of PlayStream event body size is "Total size of a PlayStream event body, including all keys and values". So it does not limit backup data, but there are restrictions on backup data, refer to Development Mode - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

Can you locate whether this error message is generated on the client side or the server side, which api is called?

0 Likes 0 ·
Frank DiCola avatar image Frank DiCola Made Wang commented ·

It would have to be the server side, this is a Cloudscript being called by the Automatic Task scheduler. That's OK! I will try to figure out something else for backing up larger amounts of data.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.