question

Nick Koufou avatar image
Nick Koufou asked

Photon WebHooks and Cloud Script revisions

Hi,

GetCloudScriptUrl allows for testing against latest revision before it is promoted to live by the use of the Testing property. Is it possible to configure Photon webhooks to use latest revision rather than latest to Live? If not then what would be the recommended development workflow?

Cheers

Nick

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Not currently. The way that Photon Cloud calls into the webhooks, the intent is that it is calling into your live Cloud Script. If this is an important feature for you, I would recommend adding it to the Feature Requests forum, so that others can vote on it, to let us know its relative importance to the community overall.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nick Koufou avatar image
Nick Koufou answered

So how did you guys envisioned one could work with this setup? If I need to deploy to live to test latest changes then the risk of breaking things is really high isn't it?

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

No, generally speaking you would do testing in a test Title ID, so that you don't risk disrupting your live game. Once you've confirmed the changes, then you would ship them into the live Title ID.

10 |1200

Nick Koufou avatar image
Nick Koufou answered

Ah ok, didn't think of setting up multiple titles for DEV and PROD. How would you ship those changes across? There is no atomic deployment mechanism available so from an ops perspective this could still be a headache.

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

If you make the configuration (currencies, catalogs, Cloud Script, etc.) part of your deployment process, you can simply change the Title ID, and be pointed to the correct title (for test or live). We also plan to offer a "snapshot" capability later this year, which you'll be able to use to get all the info from a configured game in one call, and upload it to another in one call.

10 |1200

Nick Koufou avatar image
Nick Koufou answered

I can only change the Title ID for a title in development, I can't do so for a live title as the Title ID is embedded in the client (I was thinking that maybe I could alternate Title IDs where one is for a live title and one is for a live candidate). Anyway, if you are planning on implementing a snapshot capability then that would solve the problem.

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

I'll rephrase, since I don't think we're on the same page. A snapshot would simply be a shortcut to doing what you could do right now in your own deployment process. Say you have two Title IDs:

1 - used for development and test

2 - used for the live game

You could do all your work on 1, iterating as you go. When you're ready, switch the Title ID in your deployment tools to 2, so that it sets up your live title in that state.

Next, you go back to 1, switching your deployment tools back to that ID, and work on your update. When that is fully tested and debugged, you would set your tools back to 2.

Yes, you would need to have the client set to point to the correct Title ID in each case, but that would be the same with the snapshot capability. Does that make sense?

10 |1200

Nick Koufou avatar image
Nick Koufou answered

I misunderstood what you meant by switching Title ID. It now makes sense.

Thanks

Nick

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.