question

Canberk Soner avatar image
Canberk Soner asked

About CloudScript and Azure Functions

Hi,

Is there a documentation officially explaining how exactly we are billed when using Azure functions via PlayFab? I've seen several relevant questions here but honestly I'm even more confused now after reading them and don't really understand whether we're paying twice or not, because then it would make more sense to just call Azure functions directly without using PlayFab SDK, wouldn't it?

Also, is it possible to enable legacy CloudScript for all titles under our studio? We have spent last few years building pretty much all our backend with the now legacy CloudScript. While our existing titles do have access to it, we frequently need to set up new titles for isolated tests, parallel developments and so on and this is proving to be an extreme inconvenience for us when we are unable to create new test titles for our game (because our game wouldn't work without CloudScript).

CloudScript
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered
  • About Price

The major part of Azure Function consumption is Execution Time and to estimate this part of cost, please refer to Pricing - Functions | Microsoft Azure (as the pricing page of PlayFab will redirect there). In terms of Total Executions, I still need confirmation from the sales. I will keep this thread updated when there is feedback from the team.

• To enable Classic Cloud Script

It is not and won't be supported. New titles or titles that don't have a customized revision won't be able to use Classic Cloud Script any more.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Canberk Soner avatar image Canberk Soner commented ·

Hi,

Then is it correct to assume that this change is going to increase our CloudScript costs? Because the legacy cloudscript billing for our premium plan includes a base amount of Execution Time while Azure billing does not have such a thing.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Canberk Soner commented ·

Please stay tuned and for now your question is under discussion. I will update the answer as soon as possible when there is feedback from the team.

0 Likes 0 ·
Canberk Soner avatar image Canberk Soner Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Hello, are there any updates about this issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments
Maciej Maj avatar image
Maciej Maj answered

I'm with you @Canberk Soner on this one! I am sure that disabling cloud script without proper preparation was too fast and outcomes of that are being pretty tragic.

Apart from the price, what is your experience regarding execution time? I myself see Azure functions taking a ton of additional milliseconds (simple functions taking 600ms instead of ~70ms in legacy cloud script). Are you able to comment on any of that @SethDu - any tips apart from having azure function on US west?
Thank you!

1 comment
10 |1200

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

According to the document, "The minimum billable memory size and execution time per execution is 128MB and 100ms, respectively."

There are many factors that result in the increased running time. We are not Azure Function experts, but you may refer to Optimize deployments and especially "run from package approach".

We highly recommend consulting Azure technical support to help you optimize your functions.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.