question

Kyle Kury avatar image
Kyle Kury asked

Trouble getting custom telemetry into Segment integration

Hello,

I've set up the Segment.com (formerly Segment.io) integration to forward our game telemetry from PF to BigQuery, and it's MOSTLY working.

All of the built-in telemetry events from PF get forwarded, and if I use the WritePlayerEvent API I can see those events showing up in Segment.

However, we are planning on sending a lot of telemetry from the game client, so to avoid hitting rate limits I've opted to use the WriteTelemetryEvents and WriteEvents APIs, which let us write telemetry events in bulk.

I can see the result of the API calls in the data explorer, but they're not showing up in Segment.

Can I get some support on how to get my batched custom events forwarding to Segment please?

I've tried using a standard webhook integration into Segment, but I don't believe that the PF events are formatted the way that Segment expects via that source.

Also I could attempt to forward telemetry directly from the client, but I would rather not as I would like to use some inbound telemetry to place players into segments.

Thanks!

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Made Wang avatar image Made Wang commented ·

I'm researching, please wait

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Made Wang avatar image
Made Wang answered

Using Segment.com,I reproduced the problem you mentioned.

As this thread - PlayStream Events - 'Segment' Add-On? - Playfab Community said,WritePlayerEvent writes a player-based event, WriteEvents and WriteTelemetryEvents write entity-based events. And I tried other entity-based APIs, which also cannot be displayed in the Segment.

Entity event is a new content,We haven’t supported the integration of this new architecture and Segment.com. If you need this feature, you can try to add the feature request for it.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Kyle Kury avatar image Kyle Kury commented ·

Thank you looking into it Made, I did a forum search and couldn't find the linked thread, but that's very valuable. It looks like this is not going to happen any time soon (as the last reply on that thread was from 2019).

I'll make a feature request as mentioned. We're going to be writing a lot of telemetry so I'm worried that we'll be hitting rate limits if we stick with WritePlayerEvent; we'll likely look to an alternative approach in the meantime.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.