question

Michael Schoell avatar image
Michael Schoell asked

Cannot RDP into active servers

I have two servers that didn't shutdown properly after players disconnected and I'm trying to RDP in to see the current log status and shut them down; mostly I just need them shutdown.

Through the web-portal when I try to connect to the server it pops up with an error: "There was an error while loading data from the server. Please reload the page to retry."

Starting to wonder issue is because the VM locked or if it's just an Azure/PlayFab connection issue with providing me with the RDP info to connect.

Our titleID is 41657. Based on other similar questions on this forum it seems we'd likely be asked to file a support ticket but currently our studio is not on a paid plan and until that side of things is worked out the avenue remains unavailable. Any help would be much appreciated.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Gosen Gao avatar image
Gosen Gao answered

You could call ListMultiplayerServers API to check the running instances and call ShutdownMultiplayerServer API to shut down the instances you want.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Michael Schoell avatar image Michael Schoell commented ·

Thanks! That's doing the trick! Would be great if that was somehow built into the portal but it was trivial to expand my local tooling to support it!

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schoell avatar image Michael Schoell commented ·

Follow-up, I spoke too soon. One server went down easy enough the other didn't. I did discover that there is a button in the PlayFab portal for taking down a server, great, but it seems to have the same issue. The server is just online eating hours. Any other ideas on how to get this down?

0 Likes 0 ·
Gosen Gao avatar image Gosen Gao Michael Schoell commented ·

Would you please tell us what is the error message you got when you try to call the API to shut down the instance? If you got no error, please make sure the BuildId, Region and SessionId are correct. This API will add the instance to the delete queue, it won’t authenticate the instance first. Even the instance’s info are not correct, you won’t get a message in the response.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schoell avatar image Michael Schoell Gosen Gao commented ·

Over the weekend it somehow finally went down on its own. It definitely took longer than the documented ~15 minute expected time, at least a few hours. I had used the button in the portal which should have avoided any user error in shutting it down and I had verified the SessionId, Region, and BuildId I used a few times. No error was ever returned when I used the API, I checked.

Anyways, thanks for the help and there's no on-going problem now!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.