question

mack avatar image
mack asked

Mass accounts migration

Hi,

I plan to do mass migration of current accounts from custom backend / database.

The plan is to iterate account after account and register PlayFab user for each using Java SDK.

Is there a risk that I can be blocked by PlayFab during migration?

Are there any conditions that I should be aware of?

We have over 1 milion accounts to migrate.

Best Regards,

Player DataAccount ManagementCustom Game Servers
2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

May I know the scenario? Is it changing the owner of a title and transferring the title to another studio? Otherwise, are you planning to create the subsequent series of your game and inherit player data in the previous game?

Please understand that in many scenarios there is no need to have such a migration job, but if you have specific requirement, we can help you do accounts migration via submitting a support ticket to us(if you are in a paid subscription plan).

0 Likes 0 ·
mack avatar image mack commented ·

@SethDu Please have a look at my answer.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

For question 1 & 2:

PlayFab won’t ban or block if you want to do a mass migration. PlayFab Server API doesn’t have strict limit as Client API, and it can handle 1000 calls per 10s. However, Client API has a upper bound limit of 100 calls per 2 minutes per IP address, meanwhile majority of account creation related APIs are client API. I don’t think you can migrate those login identity using Client API due to the large player number base.

The suggested workaround is to implement PlayFab SDK directly to your current project/game. You may notify the customer that accounts are migrating and in this specific version of your game/project, players using any login identity (such as email/username with password) and logging in successfully will also using the same identity to log into PlayFab (for example, RegisterPlayFabUser or any other Login APIs with CreateAccount as true).

For question 3:

No, it is not supported.

For question 4:

Players have to use client API for login, custom login method is not supported.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mack avatar image
mack answered

We are migrating from another backend solution. Owner and studio is the same (and brand new in PlayFab). We plan to do a smooth transition from old system to PlayFab together with game update.

We have rather custom scenario and we have Paid plan.

1. Will we be blocked or banned by PlayFab if we do the mass migration?
  2. Is it possible to migrate hashed user passwords? and still use a default password recovery method. Can we maybe improve it somehow by using CloudScript?
  3. Is it possible to prepare a snapshot from our database in an agreed format and you will upload it to the PlayFab backend?
  4. Is it possible to implement custom login method, so maybe we can migrate tht way?

What should be our preferred way of migration?

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.