question

Kyle Kukshtel avatar image
Kyle Kukshtel asked

Issue Expanding EventData column in PowerBI (also "No Columns Found") issue,Issue Unrolling EventData "Record" type in PowerBI (Also when trying to unroll "No Columns Found")

Hello all!

Reaching out here because I'm running into dead ends. I'm using the guide here in order to DirectQuery the Playfab insights data into PowerBi:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/insights/connectivity/connecting-power-bi-to-insights

However, when I actually load the insight data in, the EventData from Insights is recognized on PowerBI's end as a Record type. If I don't attempt to transform the data in the query editor, then the data won't load to be explored in PowerBI (its just a json blob and I can use fields/values in the JSON as measures, etc.)

However, when I attempt to unroll the column, I see this:

However, I do know there is actually data there, as I can see and properly query that data with Kusto in the Advanced Data Explorer in Playfab.

Additionally, trying to select a single Record to view results in a query too large error:

I'd love to be able to use PowerBI to explore my insights data, so any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello all!

Reaching out here because I'm running into dead ends. I'm using the guide here in order to DirectQuery the Playfab insights data into PowerBi:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/insights/connectivity/connecting-power-bi-to-insights

However, when I actually load the insight data in, the EventData from Insights is recognized on PowerBI's end as a Record type. If I don't attempt to transform the data in the query editor, then the data won't load to be explored in PowerBI (its just a json blob and I can use fields/values in the JSON as measures, etc.)

However, when I attempt to unroll the column, I see this:

However, I do know there is actually data there, as I can see and properly query that data with Kusto in the Advanced Data Explorer in Playfab.

Additionally, trying to select a single Record to view results in a query too large error:

I'd love to be able to use PowerBI to explore my insights data, so any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

tbru1.png (33.3 KiB)
scyn6.png (50.2 KiB)
2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

I cannot reproduce this issue in my testing title. May I know you title ID and Kusto query?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kyle Kukshtel avatar image Kyle Kukshtel Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Hey Seth - there is no specific Kusto query, I'm only clicking the expand field in the EventData column. That view is built from the query

= Source{[Name="events.all"]}[Data]

which is loaded when I first click "Transform Data" as part of the initial setup for getting data into PowerBI from Playfab.

I'm unable to expand EventData in the PowerQuery editor in order to transform the data to be read by PowerBI ("No Columns Found"), but also when trying to click the EventData "Record" value for a single row, it results in this Kusto query:

= events.all{0}[EventData]

Which returns an error:

The Tile ID for my game is A0EAB

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Sorry for the late response. The error indicates that the query is exceeding the limit. When you are importing data using KQL, would you try to limit the total number by defining timestamp range like the tutorial on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/insights/connectivity/connecting-power-bi-to-insights?

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Kyle Kukshtel avatar image Kyle Kukshtel commented ·

Okay that seemed to fix it - I added in a super restrictive query and the columns seem to properly expand now. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.