question

Benjamin Golinvaux avatar image
Benjamin Golinvaux asked

Exchanging Party network descriptors: shared group data vs group entities

Hello

I am trying to set up a Party network and finding a way to exchange the network descriptor between the network creator and the players that are invited.

I understand that an out-of-band communication channel must be used to pass this descriptor. I have read this excellent reply from 2016 about using the shared groups data for this purpose (https://community.playfab.com/questions/661/208349687-Invite-friend-to-a-game-approach-.html)

However, I also stumbled on the groups entity, for instance described in this resource: https://community.playfab.com/questions/45066/entity-groups-and-entity-key.html

It seems that arbitrary data can be attached to a group, and that there is a dedicated API for invitations and applications to groups.

It seems to be the natural solution for my particular issue, but I haven't found any solid evidence that this can be used.

Also, the BumbleRumble Party sample does NOT use the Groups entity but instead uses cloud script methods that end up calling UpdateSharedGroupData and GetSharedGroupData.

Maybe the Groups entity API is too recent for it to be used in the sample?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help me choosing the best method.

entitiesShared Group Datadatamultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

The Entity Group could be a better solution. It is more secure than the Shared group data, and allows more players to join the group. For more detail about Shared Group Data and the Entity Group, please refer to these documents: Using Shared Group Data and Entity groups.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.