question

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) asked

Unable to authenticate with PlayFab Custom Game Server

1. I'm trying to use the PlayFab Custom Game Server (

https://github.com/PlayFab/PlayFabGameServer)

2. I am using the client sample provided in the above sample

3. I configured the server/client to point to my TitleId, Build Name, Build Version, etc.

4. I built the server sample for Windows Standalone

5. I zipped the executable (exe + _Data folder)

6. I followed this guide (

https://api.playfab.com/docs/custom-game-servers) for uploading the zip I created in step 5.

7. After the server is Running, I ran the client sample and tried to connect

8. I am able to connect, but I get stuck on Authentication - it boots me after 30 seconds.

How can I figure out what I am doing wrong?

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

A few questions: What Title ID are you using for this test? Are you getting a log file from this test? Are you running the client as a Web Player build or standalone (or targeting a platform)? How are you setting the Title ID in the server project?

16 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Justin Heasman avatar image Justin Heasman commented ·

I found that with the version currently in Github when you start the game Server I can connect my clients with no issues, but once one client disconnects you can no longer connect any other client and have to reboot the game Server because it gets stuck on the message you described about authentication.

1 Like 1 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Justin Heasman commented ·

What does your log file show?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Heasman avatar image Justin Heasman brendan commented ·

These are the entries from server start, client connects successfully and finally when a client disconnects (always with error):

editor.txt

0 Likes 0 ·
editor.txt (75.3 KiB)
Show more comments
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

The settings are below:

I am getting no logs / empty logs from the test.

I am running the client from within Unity.

I am building the server as Standalone / Windows

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Please clear the API endpoint from your configuration. While you can, technically, put your endpoint there, you don't need to since it gets set for you (the same is true for build version, secret key, game mode, and region). But if you do set it, you need to leave off the trailing slash.

1 Like 1 ·
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) brendan commented ·

Thanks for the reply. I cleared the API endpoint from my configuration as well as all the other parameters you mentioned as optional.

Still the same result. Fails authorization and no logs on the server.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

I was able to get the log file for the Unity server! See attached.

15181677368601373134log.txt

0 Likes 0 ·
franciscobraposo avatar image franciscobraposo commented ·

Hi! Has this been solved?

I did the same thing as @dev-1 and my server keeps returning an error "Game mode not found".

I compiled the server with the Title Id (BF37) and the Title Secret Key. I added the build and the game mode assigned to the build. The server is running and the client connects to PlayFab, but the Matchmake API call returns that error. If I run the server locally it all works

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan franciscobraposo commented ·

Actually, what you're seeing is unrelated to this. The "Game mode not found" error is returned if you're trying to use a GameMode in the call which you haven't defined for the BuildId you're trying to start.

0 Likes 0 ·
franciscobraposo avatar image franciscobraposo brendan commented ·

That's what I thought, but I've already added everything, I really can't find the cause for the error...

Here are my settings

0 Likes 0 ·
server.png (14.1 KiB)
game-mode.png (11.4 KiB)
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.