question

foot@globz.com avatar image
foot@globz.com asked

Server time problem ?

In my game I have an upgrade that takes a few minutes to complete.
So I have a script for the client to display the remaining time, but this one is not consistent. It seems that there is several servers and that they don't have the same time.

It's a bit problematic for the user's display point of view.

Am I correct, and is there a way that subsequent calls stay on the same server ?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

(edit)

Good news! As of our latest update, we've managed to get the clock drift down considerably. In fact, we're down to max of 1 second of drift between servers, so depending on your scenario, you should be able to tighten up the times you use in your logic checks. I'll also promote this to be the top answer, so that folks finding this thread for the first time have the latest info.

(end of edit)

That's correct - a standard issue with massively scalable online systems is that there will be clock drift between servers. That's why, with backends like PSN and XBL, they only re-sync the client to the server's clock if they're more than a couple of minutes off. We've taken steps to minimize this drift, but a small amount is unavoidable in the individual server times - currently, it should be less than 30 seconds.

It isn't really possible for us to "lock" a players calls to one server, as we use a variable number of backend servers depending on the total load we're experiencing, and those calls have to be distributed across all of them. A dedicated time-of-day service would be one way to approach this, but you would still need to account for the latency in querying for the time. A simpler approach would be to log the start time in the player profile, and let the client be semi-authoritative about the time. That is, allow the client to track the time, so that it has a high level of consistency, but when the upgrade time expires, that causes the client to call a Cloud Script which checks the timestamp, time required, and current time, to validate that the client isn't trying to cheat (giving the client a small amount of leniency to account for the clock drift).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

foot@globz.com avatar image
foot@globz.com answered

Thanks for your answer, I understand the point.
I will follow your recommendations about time management.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.