question

Andrew Bindon avatar image
Andrew Bindon asked

PlayFabEditorExtensions + PlayFabSDK vs GSDK

Following some tutorial I happened across, I installed PlayFabEditorExtensions into my Unity project, which in turn enabled me to connect to my PlayFab account and install PlayFabSDK.

So what is the relationship between PlayFabSDK and the "Game Server SDK" ... are these the same thing or different things?

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Andrew Bindon avatar image Andrew Bindon commented ·

Assuming they are different things, what should I be using PlayFabSDK for and what should I be using the Game Server SDK a.k.a. "GSDK"?

0 Likes 0 ·

If I google how to add the GSDK to Unity project, the top result is actually about how to add the PlayFabSDK ... this is more than a little confusing.

0 Likes 0 ·

Ah ... possibly the answer is explained here:

https://github.com/PlayFab/gsdk/tree/master/UnityGsdk

0 Likes 0 ·
Andrew Bindon avatar image Andrew Bindon Andrew Bindon commented ·

Although not in any especially clear way given that this is probably a critical distinction in understanding what is PlayFab is and how to use it.

0 Likes 0 ·

And here, sort of ... although again only just barely

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/sdks/sdk-overview

0 Likes 0 ·

So can someone confirm if I have finally understood this correctly:

The GSDK includes but significantly extends the regular PlayFab SDK (include extra APIs that notably support multiuser servers) but unlike the regular PlayFab SDK it cannot be installed using the PlayFabEditorExtensions.

Is that right?

So anyone who is wanting to do multiuser with PlayFab in Unity needs to manually install and configure the GSDK and steer clear of the PlayFabEditorExtensions (cos it isn't going to help me).

Is that right?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

PlayFab SDK and GSDK are separate and are designed for different purposes. Normally you will need PlayFab SDK on server to update players’ data, such as match result and scores. PlayFab Unity Extension is a helper plugin that manages SDK and changes options via GUI.

Whereas GSDK is for monitoring and managing server build. For example, informing the state changes and invoke related state changing functions. Hence in the common scenario, both PlayFab SDK and GSDK are necessary in a server build.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Great thanks.

Please could you comment on the following?

Am I right in thinking that:

(1) The PlayFab Unity Editor Extension only installs the PlayFab SDK and not the GSDK ?

(2) And to get any given version of the GSDK to work, you need to use it in combination with a specific version of the PlayFab SDK ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Andrew Bindon commented ·

1. No, it only handles PlayFab SDK, and GSDK should be installed separately.

2. No. As the functions are independent, you can have any combinations. However, I suggest both using the latest versions.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.