question

shpytagleb avatar image
shpytagleb asked

"A third-party downstream provider returned an error to the PlayFab service" during activity peaks

Yesterday a sufficient amount of testers received an access to my game and started playing simultaneously which resulted in all of them constantly receiving this error during most cloudscript requests. This already happened before under the similar conditions.

I do indeed use a firebase realtime database as a third-party backend to store a part of a data and already met this kind of issue which I addressed on the forum. HTTP requests periodically were returning "CloudScriptHTTPRequestError" without any useful information. As a solution I added a retrial mechanism in a form of a method which try/catches all http requests to the firebase and peforms up to 3 re-attempts in a case of an exception. I stopped receiving CloudScriptHTTPRequestError and was quite puzzled by what happened yesterday.

Initially I thought that this happens because of all playfab instances ddos'ing FB database from the same IP, but if http request is a source of the error - then why I still get exceptions with requests positioned in the "try" block? I expected my custom error to be thrown in a case of a failure (and it did, but only a few times). According to the documentation, error 504 may also appear during playfab API requests but then I'd like to know why each ~fifth API call was ending with a failure during 3 hours.

Is it connected somehow to the playfab dynamically scaling resources with an arrival of new players? Game seems to work better right now, even though I don't see significant changes in the server's load. If the FB was a source of problems - I would expect this problem to persist constantly.

apisCloudScript
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

JayZuo avatar image
JayZuo answered

There was an incident caused this issue, see PlayFab Status - Some PlayFab Services are experiencing issues. This issue has been resolved. Sorry for any inconvenience!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Benjamin Bennett avatar image
Benjamin Bennett answered

This was happening in my project as well. I think it was all across PlayFab

4 comments
10 |1200

shpytagleb avatar image shpytagleb commented ·

Yes, I saw your post. But this isn't the first time this happens for me. Last activity spike on my project resulted in the same way. So I still want to know if there's some problematic server scaling pattern I need to know about, or it was a coincidence, or there's something wrong with specifically ours cloud scripts.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang shpytagleb commented ·

Do you use the webhook in the CloudScript to call the third-party API? Could you please provide the Title Id and the specific function name for our reference?

0 Likes 0 ·
shpytagleb avatar image shpytagleb Sarah Zhang commented ·

No, I don't. Simple http requests.

75C7D. Most of functions were returning the error during that evening. Most frequent one to be reported was "updateResourceAccrual", I think.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.