question

pdaz avatar image
pdaz asked

Update Linked Account

Because of mistakes made by Unity they decided to change all device ids in Unity 5.4.x. Therefore I need to update it somehow in user's profile. Otherwise everybody will lose his account while reinstalling the app.

Is it possible to update Device ID of a user?

Account Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The Unity change was to account for the READ_PHONE_STATE issue, but the deviceUniqueIdentifier has always been documented as not being 100% reliable. For that reason, we'd generally recommend using a locally generated ID (or GUID) that you save on the client. Getting the player to add a social network login like Facebook or Twitch later on is a big help in getting players back to their account, regardless of if they're using your game on a new platform or device (depending on your scenarios).

The main issue here is that until you add the locally generated ID or social login, it sounds like the player will only have the current (pre-5.4) Device ID for their authentication. You can easily add more authentication methods (Custom ID, etc.) to an account, but you must have a way to log into that account to do so. If that's not a problem (that is, you can ship an update on an earlier Unity version, so that players can update to that without losing their old ID), you can always add more login methods - including adding another Android Device ID. To be clear, while we do support multiple IDs of the same type, there are some limitations at the moment (which we'll be addressing in a future update):

Only the most-recently-used ID of each type shows up in the account info in Game Manager and the return to the account info API calls. Also, that ID is considered to be the "target" of any call to unlink the ID, so care should be taken to ensure that you're signed in using the ID you want to unlink, if you'd like to do so.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pdaz avatar image pdaz commented ·

Oh, this is what I was looking for Client/LinkAndroidDeviceID. As you said I do store locally IDs and now if I see deviceUniqueIdentifier changes I will link a new one.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.