question

Trevor Godley avatar image
Trevor Godley asked

When locally debugging game servers, how do you fix the error "fail: PlayFabLocalMultiplayerAgent[0] Failed to start process based host with instance number 0."?

I'm new to Playfab, and I'm trying to upload my first server build of my game (built in Unity). I'm following the steps outlined here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/locally-debugging-game-servers-and-integration-with-playfab#verifying-containerization.

Here is my MultiplayerSettings file: multiplayersettings.txt

When I try to run the LocalMultiplayerAgent I get an error: 30082021-232422-rec.png

The problem might be that I haven't added any DLLs to the zip folder yet because when I try to follow the guide

(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/determining-required-dlls) in step 2 it says "Run your game server executable on your local machine by using the instructions found in local debug steps in process mode or as a standalone process without using the LocalMultiplayerAgent" and I'm not sure what this means and I can't find the instructions it's referring to on the local debug steps guide.

Anyone have an idea on what I should do?

unity3d
5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

"as a standalone process without using the LocalMultiplayerAgent" means that some server build can directly open .exe to run in the local computer. It is not the common debugging procedure.

I notice that you set RunContainer as false in the configuration file. While you are referring verifying containerization tutorial. May I ask are you trying debugging the server build in container mode or process mode? Have you run the Setup.PS1 file in the VM agent file?

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Godley avatar image Trevor Godley Seth Du ♦ commented ·

I had set RunContainer to false because I was still following the "Verify GSDK integration" step in the guide. I managed to complete that step, but now I'm stuck on the "Verify Containerization" step. I changed RunContainer to true, but now when I run LocalMultiplayerAgent I get stuck on "Waiting for heartbeats from the game server...." 01092021-125424-rec.png

In Windows Event Viewer there are a couple errors logged saying "The user name or password is incorrect" 01092021-125845-rec.png

I have indeed run the Setup.ps1 file, however I have since restarted my computer. Do I need to run the setup every time, or is it just a one-time thing? Whenever I try to run it I get an error about being unable to start Docker service. I managed to get it to run successfully once, but I can't remember exactly what I did to achieve that. Also, I still haven't done anything about checking/adding additional DLLs required.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Trevor Godley commented ·

>>Do I need to run the setup every time, or is it just a one-time thing?

Yes, it is recommended to run each time.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Trevor Godley avatar image Trevor Godley Seth Du ♦ commented ·

I did some more digging and realized I hadn't checked the log in the docker container. It contained the error "Curl error 28: Failed to connect to 172.20.0.11 port 56001: Timed out"01092021-133852-rec.png

0 Likes 0 ·

0 Answers

·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.