question

therealjoeyj avatar image
therealjoeyj asked

Where are some examples of using external providers for game servers?

I see there is this checkbox in the Title Settings but I'm unsure what to do next:

"Use external game server provider"

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

[Edited] For clarification, we don’t provide this feature to users that haven’t used the “externally hosted game servers” before. Its documentation is deprecated and no longer makes sense to inexperienced users of this feature.

Currently, we would suggest you use our server hosting service PlayFab Multiplayer Servers to host your custom server builds and use the new Matchmaking feature to match the players together. Please check the documentation -- Servers - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs, Matchmaking quickstart - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs for more information.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Since someone just asked about this, I wanted to clarify one additional thing:

You can host your game servers anywhere you like - you don't have to use ours. It's just that our Matchmaker is integrated with our server hosting, to make it easy to spin up servers as needed. You can use the Matchmaker on its own to get the matched sets of players and use that with your own server hosting - it's just that you'll need to control the spin up/down of servers and getting the connection info to players.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.