question

itamarbon avatar image
itamarbon asked

Delay between backfill tickets

Hi, I want to implement the backfill feature in order to fill matches with more players. The problem is that we use azure's serverless infrastructure and when we add more than 5 additional players, we may submit more than 5 backfill tickets per minute. One solution with thought about is to just add sleep but this may cost a lot of money because we are serverless...

I want to use backfill in order to fill matches with more players. The problem is that we are currently using azure's serverless service and when we want to add more than 5 additional players, we may submit more than 5 backfill tickets per minute. I was wondering how to avoid this but using sleep in a serverless infrastructure may cost a lot of money...

Matchmaking
7 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ commented ·

The backfill ticket process is similar to the regular matchmaking tickets. The server needs to poll the backfill ticket in order to check if the backfill ticket is matched or failed. You mentioned that you use serverless infrastructure to submit the backfill ticket. How do you poll the server backfill ticket? Do you use the multiplayer server? Could you describe your scenario in detail?

0 Likes 0 ·
itamarbon avatar image itamarbon Rick Chen ♦ commented ·

We let playfab event trigger http triggers. I'm guessing backfill will trigger the ticket completed event.

0 Likes 0 ·
itamarbon avatar image itamarbon commented ·

We let playfab event trigger http triggers. I'm guessing backfill will trigger the ticket completed event.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ itamarbon commented ·

If the match is formed, there will be playstream event. However, if the backfill ticket is in ‘cancel” state (time out) , there will be no event. It is recommended to use the a server to poll the backfill ticket, such that the server can react when the backfill ticket gets canceled.

0 Likes 0 ·
itamarbon avatar image itamarbon Rick Chen ♦ commented ·

Wait so if a regular ticket gets a timeout, we get a ticket completed event, but if a backfill ticket is completed, we don't get one?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

0 Answers

·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.