question

Peter Wiseman avatar image
Peter Wiseman asked

WebSocket Connections Similar to GameSparks ?

I have a two player turn based app on iOS and Android that uses GameSparks. Amazon just announced that they're flushing GameSparks down the toilet next year so I need an alternative backend service. GameSparks users are always connected to their servers with a websocket connection which enables Cloud code to send messages directly to players without the need to send push notifications. Does PlayFab have anything like this ? I don't want to have to pay extra fees for a "Real Time" multiplayer service because my game isn't really played in real time where you see what each player is doing. However, one of the players is always waiting for a few seconds or so while the other player takes their turn and then a message is pushed from the GameSparks servers across the websocket to inform them what the other player's turn was and that the game has moved to the next turn / round. Does PlayFab have any kind of websocket support that would allow me to do this without having to play $$$ for real time multiplayer services that I don't need ? Is PlayFab's "PubSub" still an option that might happen as that sounded like it might be a solution when I was looking into this about 18 months ago ?

CloudScriptmultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

Currently, PlayFab’s PubSub feature is not available yet. You could look into the Azure Web PubSub service, the Azure Web PubSub Service helps you build real-time messaging web applications using WebSockets and the publish-subscribe pattern. This real-time functionality allows publishing content updates between server and connected clients (for example a single page web application or mobile application). The clients do not need to poll the latest updates, or submit new HTTP requests for updates.

But please note that the Azure Web PubSub service is not a PlayFab’s service, if you have questions on the Azure Web PubSub, please ask the Azure team for help.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ commented ·

Please also keep an eye on PlayFab's Blog and Roadmap. We are working on adding real time notifications to avoid polling the ticket status, targeting private preview later this year.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Jordan avatar image Brian Jordan JayZuo ♦ commented ·

Hi Jay - has this status updated? Roadmap mid-2021 mentioned "PlayFab Matchmaking - [...] adding real time notifications to avoid polling the ticket status [...] targeting private preview later this year" - would participation in preview of this be possible?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.