question

Jeff Orkin avatar image
Jeff Orkin asked

Segment integration not showing data

I'm just getting started with Segment, but was surprised that my initial steps did not produce any data in the Segment debugger. I wanted to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Here is what I did:
1. Setup a segment account, and copied the Write Key into my PlayFab settings.
2. Used the REST API from Python to login with PlayFab, like this:
values = {
'TitleId': PLAYFAB_TITLE_ID,
'Username': username,
'Password': password
}
r = requests.post( PLAYFAB_URL_CLIENT + '/LoginWithPlayFab', json=values )

This call succeeds in logging me into PlayFab, and returns a session ticket, but when I look in the Segment debugger, nothing came through. Based on the PlayFab blog post about Segment, I expected to see login events get tracked, and see something happen immediately in the Segment debugger.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Could you check to see if the events are now available via Segment? One thing to be aware of is that the ingestion of event data into Segment does take upwards of an hour, so events are not available immediately after they are sent.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jeff Orkin avatar image
Jeff Orkin answered

Thanks Brendan -- nope, days later there is still no data showing up in Segment. I tested a few logins last Wednesday, and the PlayFab API calls worked fine, but nothing was transmitted to Segment. Let me know if I should I investigate the issue directly with Segment.

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Thanks, Jeff - I don't see any issues in the data flow currently, but I'll double-check this with the engineering team, to be sure.

10 |1200

Jeff Orkin avatar image
Jeff Orkin answered

Hi Brendan,
Thanks so much for your help with this. As a sanity check, I'm going to try to send data to Segment directly using their API, outside of PlayFab.

If that does work, then I will need PlayFab's help figuring out why data is not flowing from PlayFab, because I do not have access to any way of debugging the internals of PlayFab myself.

Getting Segment integration is high priority for us. We have integrated PlayFab and 99% of it works as advertised, but if we can't get reports of registered users, that is a show stopper for us. Our strategy relies on outreach to registered users, so getting that data is mission critical. If we can't get Segment working, we will need to revert to another user account management solution, which I really do not want to have to do.

I'll let you know what I find from my sanity check.
Jeff

10 |1200

Jeff Orkin avatar image
Jeff Orkin answered

Addendum to my post an hour ago -- I did a sanity check, sending data to Segment via Javascript, outside of PlayFab, and it worked fine, data showed up right away in Segment's debugger, so there definitely is a bug on PlayFab's end sending my data to Segment. I'm using the same write key with PlayFab that I used in my Javascript test.

We are rolling out a new build of our platform that has PlayFab integrated, so it is really important to us to get this Segment integration working as soon as possible. Thanks!
Jeff

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We believe we've identified the issue with Segment and will be updating with a fix for this shortly.

10 |1200

Jeff Orkin avatar image
Jeff Orkin answered

Thanks!! awesome, glad it didn't turn out to be user error. :-)

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Okay, all data should now be flowing to Segment. Let us know if you're still seeing any issues.

10 |1200

Jeff Orkin avatar image
Jeff Orkin answered

Yes, data is flowing now, thanks!!!

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.