question

Benjamin Bennett avatar image
Benjamin Bennett asked

How can I prevent clients from calling "PlayFabClientAPI.UpdateUserData"

I'm not actually using that field, but I'd like to prevent malicious clients from potentially writing to their accounts in anyway.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Player Data is used to store information that doesn't affect gaming fairness, for example, personalize data like signature, clothing settings, etc. It is reasonable to keep this feature for players.

However, if you want to disable it, you can edit the client API permissions to deny the access of players. Please refer to the document on API Access Policy - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

You may call Authentication - Get Policy - REST API (PlayFab Admin) | Microsoft Docs and Authentication - Update Policy - REST API (PlayFab Admin) | Microsoft Docs to review and modify the policy. Please be very careful when updating and make sure OverwritePolicy property in the request is set properly (set it true only when necessary).

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Benjamin Bennett avatar image Benjamin Bennett commented ·

Is there any concern about a user potentially spamming the API with bogus data? I'm currently in the process of trying to make my game "hack proof"

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Benjamin Bennett commented ·

PlayFab has an upper bound limit of 100 API calls per 2 minutes per IP address. Exceeding limit will result in API throttling. In addition, the API frequency usually is determined by your design, when malicious behavior is detected, you may simply ban the player or IP address.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.