question

Jon avatar image
Jon asked

Pricing for profile data vs firebase/aws/etc

Hi,

I was wondering if player data is meant to be so expensive for write operations. Maybe it's just a business decision, but curious if there is a implementation detail I am missing.

Playfab: $6.5~ per 1 million

Firestore: $1.8~ per 1 million

AWS DynamoDB: $1.25 per million

For normal profile data usage that is only written once or twice per session it's not too bad, but we want to store certain data such as achievement progress or quest progress so the write frequency per player session is much higher.

In this case, the writes per player is much higher and the cost of 3x-5x is a big consideration.

It would be cheaper to combine usage in those cases.. i.e. cloudscript -> write some data to playfab, others to DynamoDB or Firestore.

Is this the best way to do it? Keeping everything on playfab is an ideal case but due to costs it may be better to just use multi-cloud for it.

Thanks

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Do you have any estimated cost when selecting Pay-as-you-go Plan? To be clear, this plan only suits some specific cases. Standard plan will be suitable for more scenarios, and there are 60 Million Reads and 30 Million Writes included in the plan and only when exceeded, will PlayFab charge additionally.

If you have any concerns about billing, please submit a form on Contact us (playfab.com). Otherwise, you may also directly contact our sales team via playfabsales@microsoft.com.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jon avatar image Jon commented ·

Ah thanks for pointing out the included 60m/30m quota in the standard. We had forgotten to include that when calculating pricing estimates.

So if we were to use 30m write it ends up around

At the most: $3.3~ per 1 million write (will be less cost if factoring in the other included meters like read, cloudscript, etc).

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Jon commented ·

I am not very familiar with AWS and Firebase pricing. If you can share more detailed usage scenario with the sales team, they may compare the cost for you.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.