question

ishiya cariaga avatar image
ishiya cariaga asked

what role does photon have with playfab?

i wanted to deploy a photon game on playfab server.

except i want to use external storage and logic rather than cloudscript if possible.

i know playfab scales my game and photon does better realtime than cloudscipt.

and cloudscript is good if something like for turn based

except both can work without each other if so then why photon?

or should i use a different solution like unity mirror?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered
  • Cloud Script/ Azure Function (CSAF). It is a serverless FaaS feature, and its functionality can be completely replaced when there is hosted multiplayer server. The purpose of CSAF is to have server-side actions without implementing any server.
  • Unity Mirror. A high-level networking API that supports multiple Low-Level transports like Telepathy, which is used in our Unity Mirror Multiplayer Server sample: MpsSamples/UnityMirror at master PlayFab/MpsSamples (github.com).
  • Photon. A complete Multiplayer gaming solution, which contains cloud server hosting and client-server connection networking API.

PlayFab Multiplayer Server with Unity Mirror is a complete multiplayer solution when you use Unity Engine. The advantage is that Microsoft Azure provides scalable and reliable cloud servers, meanwhile you are able to choose any networking APIs/frameworks for your multiplayer server. Unity Mirror is not compulsory and can be replaced. If using Photon, you may follow the tutorials on Photon to implement Photon-specific networking API. PlayFab also has great integration with Photon -- PlayFab Integration | Photon Engine.

It’s up to you to choose either solution based on your requirement, concerning the Capabilities, Scalability and Security that each service provides.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.