question

Andy Metcalfe avatar image
Andy Metcalfe asked

PlayFab SDK Broken in 2020.3.13f1 (libcurl error)

I just upgraded from 2020.3.2f1 to 2020.3.13f1 to find that the PlayFab SDK no longer works. All API calls fail with the following error:

Curl error 61: Unrecognized content encoding type. libcurl understands identity content encodings.

I have seen this other post about it, however the best answer there does not provide a satisfactory solution. To address the suggestions on that post:

1. We are using the LTS version of 2020 - that is where this issue is coming from.

2. What are the implications of disabling the compression? Will we have higher charges from PlayFab? Do you recommend using uncompressed for production builds?

3. Using the other request types in the shared settings changes nothing - I get the same error.

Is there a fix for this in the pipeline?

Cheers,

Andy

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

What’s the SDK & Unity Extension version? There is a redirect issue in the document page, please find the latest 2.110 version on GitHub -- PlayFab/UnitySDK: Unity C# SDKs for PlayFab (github.com). As you may see, API compression has been deprecated and is removed from the latest extension.

To be clear, for most APIs, PlayFab won’t charge during the HTTP data transmission, The billing is based on PlayFab server-side resources consumption, like Profile Write/Reads. The compression may help only when you are trying to reduce the usage of network billed by traffic. I don't think it should be an issue because PlayFab is based on RESTful API, and it is not designed for high frequent data transmission. Please refer to PlayFab Pricing Overview - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Andy Metcalfe avatar image Andy Metcalfe commented ·

Thanks for the reply. I was on 2.103. I just updated to 2.110 and can indeed see that the compression option has been removed from the shared setings.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.