question

Robin Hub avatar image
Robin Hub asked

Storing Entity Objects data that exceed development mode 1K limit

Hey!

We are using Entity Objects to stored title data for our players. We are slightly exceeding the 1K limit on one of the entries and I'm trying to decide which way to go. I do think that we won't be exceeding more than 5K over the lifetime of the project. The data are still read/written relatively frequently.

What is a reasonable maximum size for Entity Objects considering we are not on the Development Free plan?

Is there a way to raise this limit specifically even for development and is that even reasonable?

Should I use Entity Files?

Should I compress the data that Im storing into Entity Objects?

If I go with Entity Files, is it ok performance/time wise to be reading/writing them in cloud script?

I know this is a quite a lot of questions, but they are somewhat related and having answers to them will help me decide what is the right scalable solution going forward with the project.

Thanks!

entities
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

There's some variation based on the specific entity type, but it sounds like you mean player entities, which are limited to 1KB per Object. The limits in the service do not vary by tier, generally speaking - the only difference with the free tier is that it can only have Development Mode titles, which are limited to 100K total player accounts. For larger data, yes, we would recommend using entity files or the legacy user data system, if you don't believe compression would reliably keep you under 1KB. As to performance, the total size would be the only real factor for entity files, since you can store very large datasets in files.

To be clear, it is possible to work with us on custom limits for some of the service components in our Enterprise tier. In that model, we would review the specific use cases you have in mind and work out what the added cost would be for that, making it part of the custom contract.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Robin Hub avatar image Robin Hub commented ·

Hey Brendan, thanks for the clarification. That is exactly the overall info I was missing. I think for now I will go with compression the Player Entity Objects or just go with Player Entity Files directly. Then maybe change this once we go public and switch tiers.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.