question

KTI Dev avatar image
KTI Dev asked

multiplayer server billing charging me when it should be free

I'm on the free plan right now, and I've added a Unity Mirror VM as a 2 core multiplayer server. I did this cause it said I get 750 hours free, which should be enough to run my test server with no added costs.. My billing looks like this though:

Multiplayer : Vm instance hours
  • D2as v4 - Windows - East US
  • D2as v4 - Windows - East US
  • First 750.00 hours - Dasv4 - East US
  • 28.13 hours
  • 403.13 hours
  • 750.00 hours
  • $0.196/hour
  • Free
  • Free
$5.53
  • $5.53
  • $0.00
  • $0.00

If I get the first 750 hours free, why did my free hours end at 403.13? Why am I now getting charged for the same server? Is your billing broken?

Thanks

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

No, nothing is broken. The issue is that you left your server running in Standby mode. Since can take several minutes in total to provision a Virtual Machine (VM) and download your build onto it, you have the ability to have servers in Standby mode, so that game session can start immediately when you request a server. That means, depending on how you've set up your configuration (how many servers can fit on a VM, and how many Standby servers you want running at all times), one or more VMs will be running, with your build loaded, until you set the Standby level to 0 for all regions. This section of our documentation talks about this, and shows calculating your costs, including Standby servers: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/billing-for-thunderhead#estimating-cost-with-an-example.

Also, when you're setting up a build in a region, please note that there's an estimate shown for you costs directly in that interface:

We highly recommend turning off VMs in all regions when you're not actively testing on a development title, by setting your Standby levels to 0.

If you'd like to discuss this with our business team, you can reach them via the Contact Us form here: https://playfab.com/contact/

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

KTI Dev avatar image KTI Dev commented ·

Thanks, that explains it

0 Likes 0 ·
Marlon Dimaunahan avatar image
Marlon Dimaunahan answered

they also did it to me

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.