question

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) asked

SSH into server?

Is it possible to SSH into a server instance?

I want to debug why my client is unable to connect to the server.

The server is running and the matchmaker works, but the client receives a SocketException (target machine actively refused the connection) after trying to connect to the hostname/port that the matchmaker returned.

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sorry, but there isn't a clean way to provide you with remote dash access to only your servers in EC2, so for security reasons, we can't enable that. I see several archived games in your title where a player attempted to join, but there's no log information. Can you try writing some data to the log file to track player connection events?

Can you make sure you're attempting to connect using the port returned by the matchmaking call, and that you don't have any firewall which could be blocking the connection attempt?

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Hi Brendan, thanks for quick turnaround.

I write log data to a file as well as to the console; is it possible to view these logs? I checked the server output files and logs, and they were blank as you pointed out.

If not, how do I log things?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Where are you writing the log file? In the command line for the server should be:

-log_file_path=<log_file_path>

You need to write the log file to the file specified by that, so that our Game Wrangler can find it and copy it into S3. Also, if you have to terminate a server, terminate the Active Games instance - not the server host machine. If you kill the host machine, we can't get the logs, as the instance will already be gone.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) brendan commented ·

I see - I just posted a support question for the server software that I am using, asking how to get command line arguments. That way I'll be able to write logs to the log_file_path. I'm using something called "Dark Rift" for reference.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Okay, so I was able to get the command line arguments and upload a new build. However, now I am having trouble connecting to the matchmaking server. I get a 500 error on the client. However, in the API via the "Try It" button, it works.

The only difference is my client uses a username/password combo, but I'm pretty sure it works (I receive a session ticket).

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

It looks like that was due to a proxy timeout - specifically, this can only occur if you have no servers running at all (if you have one that's full and you've set StartNewIfNoneFound to false, you get back a specific "no slots available" error). Bear in mind that a server takes a while to start - from when we request one from EC2, it can take 10 minutes before they give us the server, so that we can set it up. That's why the min available slots should be set to ensure you have enough available capacity for the peak number of users who might try to start a game in that period.

I'll file a bug to make sure a more specific error message is returned for this issue.

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.