question

peter@pixeleap.com avatar image
peter@pixeleap.com asked

Failed to connect to Steam WebAPI: ProtocolError

Hi,

I have a Unity project and I am trying to make the functionality to link a users steam account to the playfab account, but I get an error I dont' understand and I can't find any docs on it either here or on Steamworks.

This is what I get from error details:

Failed to connect to Steam WebAPI: ProtocolError
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
PlayFabManager:<LinkPlayfabAccountToSteamAccount>m__152(PlayFabError) (at Assets/Scripts/Managers/PlayFabManager.cs:329)
PlayFab.<LinkSteamAccount>c__AnonStorey112:<>m__FE(String, PlayFabError) (at Assets/PlayFabSDK/Public/PlayFabClientAPI.cs:902)
PlayFab.Internal.<MakeRequestViaUnity>c__Iterator25:MoveNext() (at Assets/PlayFabSDK/Internal/PlayFabHTTP.cs:254)

Hopes this makes sense to someone who can help me in the right direction

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

[Edit: We have since updated the add-on page to take the Steam App ID in decimal format (the way it appears in your Steamworks account).]

It should be as simple as taking the auth ticket (from GetAuthSessionTicket), converting it to a string (https://community.playfab.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/205846468-How-do-I-convert-the-Steam-Session-Ticket-for-sign-in-with-PlayFab-) and sending it to us in the LoginWithSteam API call.

So that everyone is on the same page though, Peter and I are working through this on an email thread, and we'll post results here when we have the solution to what he's running into.

[Update] The key information is: For the Web API Key, you can get that by going to Users & Permissions, selecting Manage Groups, select the group you'll be using for the title (or create one, if you don't have one set up), and in that group, generating a Web API Key (if you don't already have one there). That Key is what goes into the Add-ons page for Steam in PlayFab. In addition, the Steam App ID for your game needs to be entered in hexadecimal format - we've updated the page to clarify that.

Also, be sure to review the post linked above, as the info on how to convert your Steam key into the correct format is necessary to getting this working.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.