question

facundo-fernandez avatar image
facundo-fernandez asked

Is it possible to do multiplayer sessions that never turn off? like Ark or Last Oasis servers?

Hello, I am developing together with a team a top-down 2D multiplayer game, and the worlds will be very large that will be divided into servers like last oasis. my question is if it is possible to make a multiplayer room that is always active and save the data. Is it possible with PlayFab multiplayer vanilla? or is it necessary a photon or something else?

and another question about the servers: Building a server that doesn't have the PlayFab Multiplayer API and using the native engine functions (Godot) for multiplayer? Or do I need the minimum to tell PlayFab that the server is available?

The engine I use is Godot, it is compatible with C ++ so I don't have much problem creating the rooms

apisCustom Game Serversmultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

No, PlayFab Multiplayer Servers (MPS) is designed for session-based games like MOBA, PUBG, having a session that is never off is not suitable for your case. Instead, you’d need to use something else for this.

And, to make sure that your server build runs on MPS, it’s required to integrate it with the PlayFab Game Server SDK (GSDK), in other words, it needs the minimum integration to tell PlayFab that the server is available.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

facundo-fernandez avatar image facundo-fernandez commented ·

Ok, if I use GameLift for the servers or some service for the VMs, could I use it for the type of servers I want?

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan facundo-fernandez commented ·

I think if you host 7*24 VMs to run your servers, that'd suit the scenario of yours. Regarding GameLift, please consult their support team for more professional help.

0 Likes 0 ·
facundo-fernandez avatar image facundo-fernandez Citrus Yan commented ·

ok, what if I make the servers update at a certain time of day? that is to say that automatically the servers of a certain region make the game session close and after a certain amount of time they are activated, would it be possible? example: all the servers when it is 4 am the information they have is saved to make them close the session and after 1 minute they are reopened

edit: I know that you can also link PlayFab with GameLift, but I found it very confusing, but I guess I will not have another if I want my servers to work 24/7

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.