question

john-5 avatar image
john-5 asked

File checksum format change?

Hi, did the file checksum format reported by PlayFabHttp.SimpleGetCall change? I noticed in our live game that we were previously getting checksums in the format of a quoted hex string like this:

"24fc4d4f262f8b953eb6d0904d2898c9"

But we are now receiving non-quoted hex strings in the format:

0x8D92C3EECBD2E1C

The first is an MD5 hash, but I have no idea what to make of the second. Is this an intentional change? If so, where was notice of this given?

Player Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

Apologize for the inconvenience. I have discussed with the team. Due to the changes of storage service, the checksum of the Entity Files will contain an ETag value, not an MD5 checksum. This value is used to verify if the copy of the file the user already have is the same as the one stored, before downloading it. And this document GetFileMetadata also describes that the checksum can be used to check if the file on the server has changed.

If you still need the MD5 checksum to ensure that the file is not corrupted, you could create a thread in the Feature Request Forum.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

john-5 avatar image john-5 commented ·

Thank you for the clarification. We've been using the LastModified string returned by GetFileMetadata to determine if a file has changed rather than the checksum. I will see about making a feature request for an MD5 for file verification purposes.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ john-5 commented ·

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

The file storage service could be migrating in the future. There is no announcement for this change. Please feel free to let us know if there is any impact caused by this change.

1 comment
10 |1200

john-5 avatar image john-5 commented ·

Our product uses the checksum reported to verify that the file is intact- without a checksum the application recognizes, there's no way to do that. I had to hotfix our product to accept files without checking the checksum because of this, which is a security risk and introduces opportunities for bugs due to corrupt data. This kind of change warrants an announcement.

Do you know what kind of checksum I am receiving now? I'd like to update our product to handle it. It looks like a 64 bit CRC, but I'm not sure.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.