question

Riccardo Iengo avatar image
Riccardo Iengo asked

Sync data on Login? Best practice

Hi,

I have few doubts about the total amount of API calls that a title can make.

In my game (a racing game) I have a lot of stats and inventory items.

My idea would be to create an online version of the game where the data are updated with API calls and an offline verision where the player can have all the records and unlocked items without having the possibility to set new records of course.

Regarding the online version of the game, Is there any best practice for syncing player data and stats on game start or should I make an API call whenever I need it?

For example, I would have 1 API call for any track that I select in order to display informations, 1 API acll for each category of items unlocked etc. Is this the correct way to go or there is a better way to achieve this? I don't know when API calls are too much.

Hope you can solve my doubts, thanks! :D

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Ivan Cai avatar image
Ivan Cai answered

In general, calling APIs and updating player data or statistics are limited. What we've done is to set up limits in the service that help to prevent performance issues due to bad behavior. So I suggest that you should call APIs to update the player's data and statistics at specific events or at intervals. In your case, one player call a API to select any track for more information or each category of items unlocked, this is a normal category. Please navigate to limits in the title settings for learning more about it.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.