question

Sebastien Saintomer avatar image
Sebastien Saintomer asked

Where would I store data I often need to access ?

Hey !

I am willing to validate my users through phone numbers to avoid account duplicates, and have set up some azure function for that purpose. I am now wondering where can I store the phone number in a way where I can easily see if one user already has that phone number when signing them up. Playfab does this with the username and email already, but I wish my users to have :

• A username (Used to login)
  • An email (For password recovery)
  • A phone number (For verification, only at sign-up or when there are issues)

So I kind of need an "easy" and "cheap" way to iterate through all the already registered phone numbers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Player DataAuthentication
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

From a purely technical standpoint, the easiest way to do this would be to store the player phone number as a Generic ID (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/playfab/client/account-management/addgenericid). Then, you could just use the Generic ID lookup to see if there's an existing player account using it (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/playfab/server/account-management/getplayfabidsfromgenericids). However, I should point out that phone numbers are usually considered personally identifying information (PII), so you should really check with your legal counsel on how you want to use that data.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sebastien Saintomer avatar image Sebastien Saintomer commented ·

Thanks for the reply ! That would technically make it impossible for me to keep that GenericID to be private (as a player data would be) or accessible only by server / admin correct ?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Sebastien Saintomer commented ·

You can only query for a Generic ID you know, though that does mean it would be technically possible for someone to submit many randomly generated "IDs" to try to find phone numbers. Again, whether this is something you can use is really something you'd need to decide for yourself, in conjunction with your legal counsel.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.