question

tom avatar image
tom asked

Android Notification setup error

When trying to register my game for push notifications in the Game Manager webiste, I receive an error.

- Im Game Manager website, I go to Settings > Push Notification Tab > Setup Android Notifications

- I add my Google API key and press 'register for push notifications' button

- I get an error as in this screenshot, "An application with the same name but different properties already exists" :

The key is obtained from the Google APIs manager website. I clicked 'create credentials' and selected the 'API key' option. This is the key I am entering above.

When trying the SetupPushNotification sample request on your docs, I get an error that 'Platform credentials are invalid'. I'm assuming this is because I haven't been able to complete the register step yet. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Tom

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Zac Bragg avatar image
Zac Bragg Deactivated answered

Curious issue.

From what I can tell, the key you are using should be valid. Perhaps there is an error in our web form. Can you try running the Admin command from either the "TryIt" feature on the page, or via Postman or some other tool.

Alternatively, Can you create a ticket, and pass us your API key for testing reproduction?

Thanks,

Zac

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hamza Lazaar avatar image
Hamza Lazaar answered

Hey @tom

I ran into same issue the other day and found out that I need to use the new Firebase Cloud Messaging. Start here.

10 |1200

tom avatar image
tom answered

Thanks Lazarr, yes I agree. Here were my complete steps for getting a server key that worked:

- Create an app in Google Cloud Console (or, if you have a Google Play Developer app, click on ‘Game Services’ button on the left menu, then create a game there for it, and then follow the ‘API Console project' link at the bottom).

- In API Manager, go to the library page and click on GCM (Google Cloud Messaging) SDK.

- To enable the SDK, you have to follow the link to Firebase console and create a project there that is linked to your same Google project.

- In Firebase console, click on the cog icon to see the project settings, click on the 'Cloud Messaging' tab, and copy the server key

- Back in the Google Cloud Console, you’ll see that the keys are also now shown on your ‘credentials’ page (as auto-generated)

And the answer to my original question:

- When using the server key to register ARN in the Playfab Game Manager: If you are getting the error ‘Invalid parameter: Name Reason: An application with the same name but different properties already exists’ then try registering on the SetupPushNotifications TryIt page and entering a different string in the ‘name’ field.

10 |1200

Jorge Ramirez avatar image
Jorge Ramirez answered

Hello everyone,

just passing by to confirm that the 'Tryit' method worked for me to start the Android notification service. Somehow, the web form only send me this "An application with the same name but different properties already exists" error text. Surely the admin request from postman must work too.

Hope this works for anyone else.

Thanks for the help.

1 comment
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Please see this thread, which addresses the question of what to do to get past that error: https://community.playfab.com/questions/6194/setuppushnotification-question.html.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.