question

Romain Maurel avatar image
Romain Maurel asked

Hourly rates might be wrong

Hello Playfab Team!

Unless I really did not understand how multiplayer servers work, I think something is off with the hourly rates calculations.

You bill depending on number of Core used per hour. This is fine. So if I run a 2-Cores VM for 10 hours, I will be billed for 20 hours or cores.

What I understood is that you can set up multiple Servers per VM, so if a 2-Cores VM can handle 5 servers, then I would be able to run 5 instances of my games using a single 2-Cores VM. So, in that case, running 5 servers (Standby OR active) on a 2-Cores VM for 10 hours, I would be billed 20 hours.

When setting up a build as per below picture, using a 2-Cores VM with a 5 servers per VM setting, if I add a region with 5 standing by server and a 5 Max Servers, I need only 1 VM (2 cores) to run. So for this region, I should be billed at the exact hourly rate of 1 2-cores VM ($0.1965/h) in the below example.

For whatever reason, the estimated base hourly rate is displayed like every server would require its own VM to run, so in this example $0.98/h when it should be, unless I misunderstood something, $0.1965/h, and if I put [6,10] stand by servers, then it should be 0.393$.

Is this a bug or not? I would be extremely surprised if not.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Calixte

playfab.jpg (83.1 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

You are correct - the cost of hosting is specifically based on the number of VMs running, not the number of server instances. I've opened a bug with the multiplayer server hosting team, to have them address this. Rest assured, the actual billing is correctly based on the number of VMs you have running.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Michael Volchenkov avatar image
Michael Volchenkov answered

@Brendan Unless I misunderstand something, the bug is still present. The estimated rate that is presented to the user is multiplied by both "servers per machine" and "standby servers". It is my understanding that "servers per machine" should not increase the rate, since it is simply running more server instances on the same VM.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.