question

Paul Moore avatar image
Paul Moore asked

Party + Unity multiplayer resources

Hi. I'm looking into multiplayer options for an fps I'm working on in Unity. I've been able to do some basic stuff like sync player objects across 2 local clients with other services, but when I found Playfab, it seemed like a great overall solution and am trying to make this work for me. I ultimately want to get into dedicated servers because it's a competitive game, but I'm trying to work my way up to that with something I thought would be easier during development like Party. But I'm having trouble finding resources beyond the very basic setup for Unity.

I was able to get 2 clients to join the same network and communicate using the Party plugin for Unity and quickstart tutorial. But now I want to get into syncing game objects. I see there are methods for sending data messages, but I don't have enough experience to know how to use this in an ideal way. If anyone can provide insight or a link to resources that show how to do this kind of thing, it'd be very appreciated.

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Party is mainly used for data communications such as voice chat, game state and logic delivery, etc., it would be hard for you to use it to sync game objects. Instead, using services/solutions like Unity Multiplayer Networking, mirror networking, Photon, etc., would be a better choice for your use case. And, we also have a PlayFab Multiplayer Unity Custom Game Server Sample using mirror for networking: MpsSamples/UnityMirror at master PlayFab/MpsSamples (github.com), may you find it helpful.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Paul Moore avatar image Paul Moore commented ·

Hi, thanks for the response. I suspected that might be the case, but there was some language used that made me think it might be possible and wanted to make sure. I've been working with the networking solutions you mentioned, and I suppose it makes sense they would be preferable anyway, because they are tailored to Unity. I definitely plan on using Playfab regardless for everything else.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Paul Moore commented ·

Thanks for choosing PlayFab:)

0 Likes 0 ·
Gadiraju Sanjay Varma avatar image Gadiraju Sanjay Varma Citrus Yan commented ·

Hello sir.Can players in same party join same server during matchmaking.Do you have any resources for party in ue4 blueprints.Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.