question

Riccardo Iengo avatar image
Riccardo Iengo asked

Set player data - UE4 server side

I would like to to send a Score and a Time value when my race ends (in order to create a leaderboard later).

Basically, I created a new rule and on the first login ever you have both Score and Time in your player data.

I was able to read these values from the engine, but how it works if I want to set these values in a safe way so that players can't modify it? It's still confusing to me.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

It depends on the game genre and your requirement. PlayFab provides resources that only allow players to read but restrict the write permission, for example, Player Read-Only Data. Meanwhile, when and where to update those data is a part of anti-cheating system you should implemented in your game.

Ideally, all the matches have a hosted server that the data is processed on the server, and PlayFab Server APIs are used to update data for players. It is recommended to enable multiplayer server 2.0 for a real-time competitive game. Meanwhile if it is a Weakly networked game, I suggest implementing Cloud Script/Azure Function for updates, where basic data verification can be done before the update is applied.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.