we are building a multiplayer game in Unity and we are looking for Playfab as login and multiplayer server.
The game is a team-based 5v5 / 10v10 FPS with authoritative server, with an average match length of 15 minutes.
The project needs to have a typical online workflow like Fortnite or COD Warzone.
We have this kind of structure:
1. Client log-in (using Playfab for managing different accounts).
2 . Players enter into their personal lobbies where they can customize their avatar, invite friends, chat, view stats, and unlock items with in-game currency.
3. Call match making that enable the client (or clients if they have invited friends) to enter the game.
4. When players start the matchmaking and opponents are found, a new Unity server instance is created running Mirror Networking (10-20 players per game).
5. Once in the game server we can manage the game with our mechanics (we are going to use unity and Mirror for networking).
6. At the end of the game, scores are calculated and updated to the players' profiles.
So we would love to use Playfab to accomplish this, because seems that most of the task could be done easily.
I've understood that Playfab doesn't have a Lobby system and I'm struggling finding a solution on how to implement this with Playfab.
So I have some questions:
1. what's the best way to implement a Lobby like Fortnite using Playfab? If there is no way for Playfab can you put me trough some services that could help me?
I've read about using Playfab Matchmaking Legacy for Lobby and then Matchmaking 2.0 for Game servers, but I've not found ant documentation or examples about the differences and the implementations.
I've also read about Using Matchmaking 2.0 with cloud script to create Lobbies room because there is a limit with Matchmaking 2.0. that needs 2 players to start the Matchmaking, but also for this I've not found any documentation or examples.
2. Furthermore I want to understand how the Playfab servers fleet will be managed. When we build the game server we have also to provide a Master Server that manage multiple game servers instances into the Playfab server (so a master server that spawn a game server and return port and ip to clients to connect) or the Playfab architecture just act by itself as a Master server? In this case how can I understand how much resources are used by one Playfab server from the fleet?
I hope someone can help me because I'm struggling by two weeks and I've a lot of doubt.