question

Balek avatar image
Balek asked

Is docker mandatory for Game Server with GSDK ?

Hi,

I just download GSDK and try it, it work well on windows standalone build but crash on 64 build but this is not the question.

I use LocalMultiplayerAgent.exe to test my Game Server, it work well, but in the documentation it say I have to make a docker container but I can't because of windows 10 home...
Maybe i can build a linux standalone and use container on it but idk if it's a good idea to do that on windows ? Is this better than windows executable and container ? Or I can just upload my zip without docker on the dashboard and it work ?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

So, you are trying to test your game server on a Linux container in windows using Docker for windows, is that correct? In that case I think it’ll work, and we also have a document showing you how to do that: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/locally-debugging-game-servers-and-integration-with-playfab#using-localmultiplayeragent-with-linux-containers. And, for the last question, selecting a container image is required by default when you configure your build on the dashboard though, however, we do provide the CreateBuildWithProcessBasedServer API for you to create server build with the server running as a process instead of a containerized app.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Balek avatar image Balek commented ·

I'm trying to make a windows container on windows OS using game build on windows standalone but I can't use windows container because I have windows 10 home.

My question was can I make a linux standalone build on unity (I use mirror) and use a linux container ? And is this better ?

But you said I can make it without container then I think it's good

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Balek commented ·

Sure, you can use a linux container, and, I cannot really tell which one is better, they all have their pros and cons.

And, yes, you can have your server run as a process.

1 Like 1 ·
Balek avatar image Balek Citrus Yan commented ·

Ok thank you :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.