question

rhaegeman avatar image
rhaegeman asked

Securing player data updates

Hi all,

I'm new to PlayFab and I'm trying to set up a fairly lightweight POC.

Imagine that in my game, there are 10 levels. A player can unlock levels buy spending 10 virtual currency, and you have to unlock level 2 first before you can unlock level 3, and so on.

Let's say I store the amount of `unlocked_levels` in Player Data.

With a valid SessionTicket for my logged in user, I can now call `https://xxxx.playfabapi.com/Client/UpdateUserData` with body:

`{ "Data": {"unlocked_levels":4} }` and update the data.

Nothing stops malicious users from calling that endpoint though, so you can basically easily change the unlocked_levels data if you grab the SessionTicket for that user, without paying for it with Virtual Currency.

So this is probably not the way to go. What's the best practice to create this basic unlocking mechanic, based and purchases with Virtual Currency?

Player Datadata
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

You can consider using Read-Only Player Data, then use the CloudScript to set it for players.

To set read-only KVPs, you must call the Server API UpdateUserReadOnlyData method from a server process. This is data that the server can modify, but the client can only read.

For the examples of how to set and get the Read-Only Player Data, please check the following documents.

How to set read-only player data - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs

How to get read-only player data - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs

For more details about CloudScript, please refer to the documents of CloudScript -- CloudScript quickstart - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.