question

taptastic.studios@gmail.com avatar image
taptastic.studios@gmail.com asked

Persistent turn based games?

Hello,

I am currently working on my first multiplayer turn based game (which is also my frist game in unity), so bear with me and help me out with a bit of clarification as all this is getting confusing to me.

The multiplayer functionality that I need is like this:
- one player is starting a multiplayer game, he doesnt finds an available room, so creates one
- he plays his turn (simple moves), data is sent to the server and now the user can close the application
- when second player is starting a multiplayer game he finds the game created by the first player and joins it
- he gets first players turn data and after that he can play his turn
- first player receives a notification that is now his move... etc

For the multiplayer part I started using turnbased photon + playfab, only to discover now that I may need another server for photon webhooks (?) to keep persistent game rooms.

What is the recommended why of achieving this functionality?

Thanks

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

natepac avatar image
natepac answered

Is asynchronous matchmaking still not implemented on PlayFab? My use case is matching up people based on rank, starting / ending a match and storing a score between them. The winner wins a prize and their score may be posted on a leaderboard. Just curious if this needs to be wrapped up between Photon and PlayFab.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Async matches such as you describe are still supported the same way they have been previously: You can get a leaderboard of players around the current player's score, randomly pick one of them for the challenge (or challenge a friend), and then manage the data for the shared session in Player Data or Shared Group Data. So the recommendation at the start of this thread would still be the way to go, for now, but keep an eye on our blog site for information on new features as they get scheduled.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.