question

Jose Fernandez avatar image
Jose Fernandez asked

[UE4] Listen server support (NAT Punchthrough etc.)?

Hello, I couldn't find much information on this online. Our Unreal game relies on Listen Servers for networking which means we can't have users manually port forwarding in order to be able to play online. Is there any support for this type of networking on PlayFab?

Alternatively, what platforms *DO* support this type of behavior? For instance, I know Steam does. Do consoles (XBOX/PS) and the Epic Game Store support punchthrough?

unreal
5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jose Fernandez avatar image Jose Fernandez commented ·

Hello, my question got double posted so please delete this one.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Jose Fernandez commented ·

We noticed that you also posted a similar question waiting for moderation, we'll reject that one and support you in this one, thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Jose Fernandez avatar image Jose Fernandez Citrus Yan commented ·

Ah it would have better the other way around, this one's messed up. Is there any way to edit it?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

We don’t offer services like NAT Punchthrough, however, we do offer server hosting service: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/, where you run your servers in Azure and players connect to it and play. In that case I don’t think NAT Punchthrough is needed since your server will be hosted on the public ip instead of behind a NAT router. Please let me know if I misunderstood something.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jose Fernandez avatar image Jose Fernandez commented ·

The game only matches up two or four max players together, there's no need for dedicated servers. I'd like to use the matchmaking service to connect two players to each other and have one of the players host the listen server. How can I achieve this functionality?

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Jose Fernandez commented ·

So, your game is P2P, unfortunately, we don't have support for NAT Punchthrough. You can still use our Matchmaking service to match players together, but you'd also need a custom server that serves as an introducer between those players so that they can succesfully establish communications.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jose Fernandez avatar image Jose Fernandez Citrus Yan commented ·

I see, thank you. I'll add this as a feature request since it's a very commonly used service.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.