question

Jaehoon Choi avatar image
Jaehoon Choi asked

Setup.ps1 failure

I installed docker desktop in Windows 10.

If I run setup.ps1 it fails.

PS C:\work\LocalMultiplayerAgentPublish> .\Setup.ps1
Start-Service : Cannot find any service with service name 'docker'.
At C:\work\LocalMultiplayerAgentPublish\Setup.ps1:74 char:1
+ Start-Service docker
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (docker:String) [Start-Service], ServiceCommandException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoServiceFoundForGivenName,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand

I found that docker desktop is in the system tray and not a service.

So commented out "Start-Service docker" line in Setup.ps1 and ran again. It failed again.

PS C:\work\LocalMultiplayerAgentPublish> .\Setup.ps1
Creating new subnet 172.19.0.0/16 with gateway 172.19.0.11
Error response from daemon: plugin "nat" not found
Network creation for 172.19.0.0/16 / 172.19.0.11 failed.

Did I miss something?

multiplayer
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ivan Cai avatar image Ivan Cai ♦ commented ·

Are you sure your docker installation is correct? You can try some simple command lines to determine whether your docker is installed successfully.

0 Likes 0 ·
madmojoman avatar image
madmojoman answered

Did you find a solution to this? I am experiencing the same problem. I have typed in "docker" into the PowerShell and it shows the docker help information. But for some reason running the .\Setup.ps1 shows that same error of not being able to find the docker service. The Docker Desktop is running and shows the whale icon for me, as well. Either the guide is missing a step on getting access to the Docker service, or something is up.

Edited In:

When I right-click on the Whale and attempt to "Switch to Windows Containers..." it states that Windows Containers support requires Windows 10 Pro or enterprise build >= 14372. I just got this computer and was working to set it up for local testing. I believe maybe the fact that it is a Windows 10 Home version means I can't use it properly until upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, because the guide does state "You should have configured it to use Windows Containers." It would be nice if the guide stated it clearly here that you will need Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise in order to use Windows containers. That is probably the issue here.

Solution: Confirmed. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, Switched to Windows Containers became available. Once switched, I was able to continue with guide and docker service was accessed properly at that point. Other issues with guide after, so still did not pass through this section, but at least a step further for me.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ivan Cai avatar image Ivan Cai ♦ commented ·

Thanks for your feedback. First of all, make sure that the computer system is Windows 10 Pro (or above) with April 2018 (1803) update.

0 Likes 0 ·
David James avatar image David James Ivan Cai ♦ commented ·

I have Windows 10 Pro with an update dating 2021, and I am also getting this error.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jaehoon Choi avatar image
Jaehoon Choi answered

Thank you madmojonman, my os is Windows home too. I saw the same same message.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.