question

mr-tm avatar image
mr-tm asked

Is it possible to disable voice on PlayFab party (Unity iOS)?

I'm using only data sending functionality of PlayFab party, no voice functionality needed. But I'm having an error on iOS device while connecting to PlayFab party network. Everything works just fine with Android and Windows devices.

It seems that Party in iOS is trying to access microphone, which gives out an error:

NSMicrophoneUsageDescription key missing

Is there a way to disable PlayFab Party Voice features through C#(or any other way)?

Player Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

Yes, PlayFab Party allows you to set the audio input and output device that will be used by your chat control. You could set the device with the PartyAudioDeviceSelectionType::None to disable the chat using any audio device. Please refer to: Audio Inputs and Outputs for more detail.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mr-tm avatar image mr-tm commented ·

Is it possible to use it with C# SDK version? I can't seem to find C# method for it.

Also, it is said in documentation that it is set to none by default, but it seems that's not the case with Unity C# PlayFab Party SDK as I get an error message for Mic usage request in iPhone?

0 Likes 0 ·
franklinchen avatar image franklinchen commented ·

Hi @mr-tm, If you are checking Party C# SDK's PlayFabPlayer class, there is a property called "IsMuted", you can easily mute players with it. It actually called the internal method which use the api Rick mentioned.

0 Likes 0 ·
mr-tm avatar image
mr-tm answered

It seems the C# SDK is using "SystemDefault", not the "None" option by default (private void SetUserSettings()).

3uuqp.png (41.0 KiB)
2 comments
10 |1200

Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ commented ·

Thank you for this information. If setting the audio input and output device to None does not work, please let us know.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sam avatar image Sam Rick Chen ♦ commented ·

Hey @Rick Chen! Like the user @donnotron has mentioned, is there any way we can get this as some sort of settable configuration option? Otherwise, we are unable to update the SDK without remembering to change this.

0 Likes 0 ·
donnotron avatar image
donnotron answered

It would be really nice if this were configurable from outside of the sdk. To get this to work on my end for a game that only needs text/data and no voice, I have to edit the sdk otherwise the game will crash on iOS because it doesn't have microphone permissions. The problem is that I have to somehow remember to edit the sdk again everytime I upgrade it.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.