question

darren zou avatar image
darren zou asked

What to store on PlayFab vs on a azure server

Hello, I am thinking about using azure to host sql and my server. But I am confused because people say PlayFab cannot replace traditional database but it does a lot of work that they do. So my question is what will I use my server for precisely ?

PlayFab:

-Authentication? I can authenticate using playfab, Will playfab API allow me to authenticate my incoming request to my server via JWT or some other session tracker?

Let's say my game have trading, how would I integrate that ? Will Playfab have robust API for my server to communicate the data on PlayFab so my sql will be in sync because trading involves a lot of moving parts.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Once authenticated with PlayFab, you’ll received EntityToken (for entity APIs) & SessionTicket (for classic APIs) from the LoginResult. You can include them in the request to your server so that it can use ValidateEntityToken or AuthenticateSessionTicket to verify the identify of the caller and act on it accordingly.

Regarding trading, we provide these client APIs for you to integrate with your game: https://docs.microsoft.com/zh-cn/rest/api/playfab/client/trading?view=playfab-rest.And, actually, we already provide a complete system for you to deal with economy within your game, there is no need to make extra effort writing your own. To get started, please check out this doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/commerce/economy/.

Generally, PlayFab is capable of handling most features in game as a backend service, you’re safe to store most of your data here. However, for some features we don’t offer yet or some data that’s updated very frequently, you may use Azure Server to manage them.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.