question

f medina avatar image
f medina asked

Which Playfab add-ons are compatible with a Unity desktop build?

I have been looking for days documentation for PC builds but I have not found any information about:

- Login authentication using Google, Facebook, Twitch for a Unity PC/Mac/Desktop build.

- IAP using Paypal, Facebook or Steam for a unity PC/Mac/Desktop build.

context: a PC multiplayer game where around 20 people connect to a room and interact using photon (almost done). We want to implement various login authentications besides playfabID (done) and have compatibility with some in game transactions.

There was a Playfab reply that said - Our service is completely platform agnostic. You can use the same account, data, inventory,etc. for a player across all platforms capable of making Web API calls with SSL. and that you can make them via Desktop as well. I understand most of these problems would be fixed with a WebGL build instead, however don't have experience with WebGL and don't know much about servers to pick the right host.

I understand that Google is only available for Android, the Facebook SDK for unity is compatible with WebGL only, and Twitch it's the same, I think only Steam is compatible with PC but I haven't tried yet since the clients have not finished the account configuration.

For IAP, we want to implement at least Paypal and maybe Steam or Facebook, but since that is beyond Playfab scope, I have not found any information about how to handle the transactions from Unity. If it's from a desktop build, I am fine with a popup windows and being redirected to Paypal or something like that.

so the questions would be:

- Can I link my Facebook/Steam/Twitch account with Playfab from a PC build? or is a webGL the only way for desktop? what other requirements must be considered when creating a weGL build?

- Can the user register with their Facebok/Steam/Twitch accounts or is it mandaroty to have a Playfab account first and the link them?

- Since Mac is not considered, is making a UWP build and set up a Windows store the only way to integrate Paypal for PC? what do you have to consider when creating an UWP build?

- Do authentication and payment require two separate implementations? for example, if I manage to implement Facebook Authentification (login) on certain platform, does this mean that payment with Facebook is also compatible? or will it depend on the build?

I apologize for asking such trivial questions but I have used Playfab with Android only before, never though PC would have so much incompatibility with the features we want to implement. If there is anything unclear please let me know.

Thank you.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

- Can I link my Facebook/Steam/Twitch account with Playfab from a PC build? or is a webGL the only way for desktop? what other requirements must be considered when creating a weGL build?

Unfortunately, there is no document about Unity PC build for these platforms. Please find the Unity or these platforms’ forum for help. For example,

Manually Build a Login Flow may show you how to implement desktop app login with Facebook. Once you obtained the Facebook access token, you could use the LoginWithFacebook API to login to PlayFab.

- Can the user register with their Facebok/Steam/Twitch accounts or is it mandaroty to have a Playfab account first and the link them?

Yes, the users can directly register with their Facebok/Steam/Twitch accounts with LoginWithFacebook/ LoginWithSteam/ LoginWithTwitch API, it is not necessary to have a PlayFab account and link them.

- Since Mac is not considered, is making a UWP build and set up a Windows store the only way to integrate Paypal for PC? what do you have to consider when creating an UWP build?

You mentioned that you are fine with a popup windows and being redirected to Paypal or something like that. Maybe you could use a button to redirect the user to the PayPal page on browser for PC build. Please refer to PayPal.

- Do authentication and payment require two separate implementations? for example, if I manage to implement Facebook Authentification (login) on certain platform, does this mean that payment with Facebook is also compatible? or will it depend on the build?

No, they are different implementation. A simple login flow is

1. Login on the platform
  2. Get the access token
  3. Login with PlayFab’s API.

The payment flow for different platform varies, please refer to Non-receipt payment processing.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

f medina avatar image f medina commented ·

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the non-receipt payments but, just to confirm, if PC build does not support most platforms (Let's say Steam in this case) authentication, is it possible to implement it on desktop the API call if the user can't link their Steam account? to put it bluntly, will a Steam purchase option prompt a web browser(sorry I don't know how it is, haven't implemented that before from unity) and make the user login with their steam account, even if that account is not linked to that user? it sounds confusing but it is basically the question from before, can I use Steam as a payment method if I cannot link Steam with PC anyway?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ f medina commented ·

>>is it possible to implement it on desktop the API call if the user can't link their Steam account?

Yes, it is possible. The login with Steam and purchase with Steam are separate processe's, it is not necessary to link a steam account to purchase with steam.

>>will a Steam purchase option prompt a web browser(sorry I don't know how it is, haven't implemented that before from unity) and make the user login with their steam account, even if that account is not linked to that user?

As a result of the PayForPurchase call in Unity, PlayFab uses the web methods provided by Steam to initiate the purchase in that service. This automatically causes the user to be presented with the purchase confirmation dialog via the Steam client. Please refer to Payment provider Steam. Yes, the user needs to login with their steam account for the payment process. It is not necessary to have the account linked to PlayFab.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.