question

Evorlor avatar image
Evorlor asked

Does PlayFab support real-time multiplayer communications?

I am new to PlayFab, and trying to determine what it provides. I am working on a real-time multiplayer game. The client sends the input to the server, the server runs the client's input, and then reports back the world state to all the clients.

Does PlayFab support multiplayer in a real-time way like this? Can I replace my existing code with the PlayFab SDK?

multiplayer
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Evorlor avatar image Evorlor commented ·

Can you please change my username to Evorlor? I did not intend to put my full name public there.

0 Likes 0 ·
Evorlor avatar image
Evorlor answered

No. PlayFab is not intended for real-time data. You need to use an alternative solution such as DarkRift, Mirror, or Photon. The multiplayer services are just for "slow" data, such as matchmaking. It can also be used to host your server - but not communicate rapidly to your client.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

Yes. PlayFab supports real-time multiplayer communications. The PlayFab Party is a low-latency chat and data communication solution for cross-platform and cross-device multiplayer games. The voice and text features in Party can be used as a standalone chat solution. For more detail, you could refer to: Azure PlayFab Party overview.

This forum displays the ‘Real Name’ of your Profile, which you can change in the profile’s edit page.

4 comments
10 |1200

Evorlor avatar image Evorlor commented ·

Thank you. But I am not asking about real-time chat features. I am asking about gameplay features, where milliseconds matter.

0 Likes 0 ·
jpgordon00 avatar image jpgordon00 Evorlor commented ·

Yes. Using PlayFab Multiplayer 2.0, you are supposed to host server builds and use TCP or UDP to connect and communicate with your server. Check out the MPS samples page.

0 Likes 0 ·
Evorlor avatar image Evorlor jpgordon00 commented ·

Is this supported in Unity? I haven't seen anything on it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.