question

Bijian Wu avatar image
Bijian Wu asked

One VM on multiple regions

when creating server build on selected VM, the last step is to configure the region this server will be live in. can one VM be operate on multiple regions, if yes, how many? and how does it work? does it use same VM power when deploy 1 VM to multiplayer regions at once.

multiplayer
untitled.png (49.4 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

>> can one VM be operate on multiple regions?

One VM can only correspond to one region. Therefore, different regions represent different VMs. If you mean “Can one build be operated on multiple regions?”, the answer is yes. You can set multiple regions in one build’s configuration, whereas these builds will be deployed to the multiple VMs.

>> if yes, how many?

Do you mean you want to know the limit of the VM count? As our documentation -- Accessing increased core limits and additional Azure regions said, PlayFab doesn’t limit count of VMs, but limits the total count of Azure compute cores. It means, under the condition of constant core quota, the fewer cores a single virtual machine has, the more virtual machines you can create. You can navigate to [Game Manager]->[Multiplayer]->[Servers], select the [Quota] tab, then click the [View quota] button to check the cores quota for your title.

>> and how does it work? does it use same VM power when deploy 1 VM to multiplayer regions at once.

As the above answer said, one region would correspond to one VM at least. If you set the multiple regions for one build, the build would be duplicated to multiple server executables, then be deployed to multiple VMs. In this situation, these server executables would have the same content, and these VMs would have the same power.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Bijian Wu avatar image Bijian Wu commented ·

thanks for the anwer, so it means I can have one build that targets all the regions as PlayFan duplicate it for me to different regions?

I also noticed the effect that if I am using less powerful/less cors VM, I can get more maximum servers for that region.

let's say I tried to have "Standard F16s v2 (16 cores) in North Europe Region, and set servers per machine to be 30, and the maximum servers per region I have got is also 30. but with choose "F8s v2 (8 cores) VM, and also set servers per machine to be 30, then the maximum servers per region I can have is 90, is about 3 times more? why is your system design like this? why choose more powerful VM result in a lot less max servers per region, why would anyone using "Standard F16s v2 (16 cores)" VM? My game is session based, each session is about 5 mins long, and about 2 to 8 people play together. I think I should go with less powerful VM as it does not consume that much power on VM.

following is a screenshot of I am trying to use 1 core VM, and I can have so many servers on a single region, as long as my game server can stay under the core usage, I am fine with it? right?untitled.png

0 Likes 0 ·
untitled.png (34.5 KiB)
Bijian Wu avatar image Bijian Wu Bijian Wu commented ·

also with remaing regional quota, does it means I can still add 60 servers to the max of 90 I am specified? So I can set max servers for this region to be 150 with "Standard_F8s_v2 "VM untitled1.png

0 Likes 0 ·
untitled1.png (44.2 KiB)
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang Bijian Wu commented ·

In theory, you can, and as we discussed in you another thread -- Server core usage - Playfab Community, you need to do the performance testing to ensure your server can run successfully.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.