question

Bijian Wu avatar image
Bijian Wu asked

Request Multiplayer Server API call?

As I am aware that by calling Request Multiplayer Server, I need to pass in build ID of my server when calling the method, but what if I want to spread the loads to multiplayer servers? like the one in different region when calling Request Multiplayer Server, because I am tied to the build id of that specific server, so that I can not do that? any way to get around that? I want to create a system to auto pick the server from available server list, rather than from that specific build of the server, as I know the build id for servers cannot be the same? can it?

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

It is completely a client-side logic. Since the regions is defined on your own, you may create a local list or store region list on Title Data for players to choose. Simply changing the “PreferredRegions” property based on player selection should do the work.

You may also do a QoS measurement before the selection -- Quality-of-service (QoS) beacons to measure player latency to Azure - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Bijian Wu avatar image Bijian Wu commented ·

Do you mean store a list of server by region with their Build ID, so that for example, region WestUS have a server with build id 123, and region EastEU have build id 456, so that based on region player is in by querying the Qos, pass the region with the corresponding build id when calling the multiplayer server? also, does Qos only can be done with UDP message, can it be done with using TCP message?

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Bijian Wu commented ·

In the server build configuration page, you are able to add server cores on different regions. A Single server build is already able to "spread the load". If you don't have other requirements, there are no needs to define multiple server builds.

The regions cores should be predefined, hence it is a fixed list. Clients can test Azure server QoS based on that list. In terms how to do the QoS measurement, besides the method we have provided in the documentation, you may find support from Azure team.

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.