question

Maximilian Weber avatar image
Maximilian Weber asked

Any update on 2FA Support

So it looks like there have been multiple requests over the years to add (User-Account) 2FA support similar to the Playfab-developer accounts but no official announcement from Playfab yet.
For our current project 2FA - at least optionally - is a hard requirement to ensure that players can secure their account properly especially with some monetary value in their inventory.

I know there are some new advanced topics being tested with Enterprise users right now, but I haven't seen any news about 2FA in the last 3 years here.
So, if 2FA is not natively coming - what are our options?
For clarification, 2FA is NOT SMS/phone but authentication-app based.

The way I see it we would need to roll our own solution, saving 2FA state somewhere in a read-only variable inside the player and then let our dedicated 2FA-server take control of that including the transmission of the final auth token...

Maybe there are some other ideas? @Brendan

Account Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

[Edited]

Currently we don't have plans on 2FA support for PlayFab-based user accounts (not that I am aware of), however, you can make a feature request here in this forum to help us prioritize our work:https://community.playfab.com/spaces/24/index.html

As a workaround for now, you can consider using openid connect which we support: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/playfab/client/authentication/loginwithopenidconnect?view=playfab-rest, to log players in. Many openid connect service provider already have 2FA integrated.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Maximilian Weber avatar image
Maximilian Weber answered

Thanks for confirmation, we are researching the openid connect mechanic now.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.