question

Greg Quinn avatar image
Greg Quinn asked

Where/how to store large amounts of game result data?

I am currently evaluating PlayFab and I've been reading many different threads about storing large amounts of ongoing data, but haven't really figured out the best way to go about it.

I am building a racing game, and I want to log the results of every race for every player, this would contain the playerId, laptimes, finishPosition, dateTime, raceMode etc.

Now I would like to be able to query this data, either for building an achievement system, showing a leaderboard, or just for some analytics, to understand how players improve after an upgrade, etc, etc, so this data would be used across many different systems, in many different contexts.

What would be the best way to store and utilise/query this data within PlayFab?

Thanks

Player Datadata
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

Since PlayFab natively provides Leaderboard feature, you can store the reference values of ranking as Statistics. For more information about PlayFab Leaderboard, please refer to this documentation -- Tournaments & Leaderboards quickstart - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs. With PlayFab, you can call the Server API UpdatePlayerStatistics to update the specific statistic value for players, and construct leaderboards using the following API methods:GetFriendLeaderboard, GetFriendLeaderboardAroundPlayer, GetLeaderboard, GetLeaderboardAroundPlayer. Besides, when you retrieve the Leaderbaord, PlayFab allow you to use PlayerProfileViewConstraints to gain additional information about players. Please refer to this documentation Using the Profile for Advanced Leaderboards - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs for the tutorials and samples. If you want to retrieve the indicated statistics value for the specific player, you can Client/Server API GetPlayerStatistics.

For other data that not related with ranking, you can store them as Player Data according your requirements. Our series documentation -- Player Data - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs provides detailed description about it. For analysis features, we would suggest you check our documentation PlayFab Insights documentation - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

If you have any exact technical questions, please feel free to let us know.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Quinn avatar image Greg Quinn commented ·

@Sarah Zhang Thank you for the response, I am aware Playfab offers these features, but still, my original question 'Where/how to store large amounts of game result data' was not answered. I may wish to query this data, or export it to another database, or view it in a custom visualisation tool, so my question is how would I store this data with PlayFab, so it could be easily queryable and accessible for other uses?

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang Greg Quinn commented ·

PlayFab can’t be used as a database that can be queried, game developers can only interact with the data via API calls. For your requirements, you can consider using the external data warehouse.

Only PlayStream Events can be exported to other database, you can check our documentation PlayFab Insights documentation - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs for more infomation.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.