question

Greg Quinn avatar image
Greg Quinn asked

Best practices for versioning title data and Azure Functions

I'm evaluating Playfab now after having used GameSparks for several years, and have some questions around how versioning works.

1.) For cloudscript code, it seems I can save revisions, and deploy revisions, this is great. But how does this work with Azure Functions? At what point does my Azure function become live?

How do I control which revision of an Azure Function a specific build of my game will use?

2.) For title data, how do I control which version of my title data is deployed to production or not?

For instance, I may have a collection called 'AI drivers', for my racing game, and I want to remove some data fields from it, and add some others, that will be deployed in the next version of my game, that only the new build of my game will understand.

How do I make sure only a specific version of my client game build uses the newest version of the title data?

Thanks

CloudScriptTitle Datadatagame manager
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Quinn avatar image Greg Quinn commented ·

@Brendan @SethDu Can someone from Playfab respond to this please? This sort of information is vital in understanding if Playfab is right for me. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

>> But how does this work with Azure Functions?

You could follow this document: Quickstart: Writing a PlayFab CloudScript using Azure Functions to create an Azure Function and set up the Azure Function on your title.

>> At what point does my Azure function become live?

It becomes live when you publish your Azure Function. But you need to register the function on [Your GameManager]->[Automation]->[Cloud Script]->[Functions (Preview)] before you can call it.

>> How do I control which revision of an Azure Function a specific build of my game will use?

You can refer to the Azure document: Versioning in Durable Functions - Azure | Microsoft Docs. If you have any further questions on Azure Function versioning, please find the Azure support for help.

>> For title data, how do I control which version of my title data is deployed to production or not? How do I make sure only a specific version of my client game build uses the newest version of the title data?

There is no version for title data. You could use SetTitleData to set the title data and GetTitleData to get the title data.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Quinn avatar image Greg Quinn commented ·

@Junjin Chen Thank you for the detailed response, I'll look into the versioning of Azure Functions, with versioning title data, I guess I could just name each title data, i.e drivers_v12, or drivers_v13 etc, and have the client build just query that specific data then.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ Greg Quinn commented ·

Thanks for understanding. Your method looks good. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.